All ORA systems and websites, with the exception of email, will be offline beginning 5:00 PM Friday, December 2 to 5:00 AM Monday, December 5.
All ORA offices will be closed in observance of the UCLA winter holiday starting Friday, December 23 through Monday, January 2.
Welcome to the OARO Website
The Office of Animal Research Oversight (OARO) works with the UCLA institutional animal care and use committee (IACUC), known locally as the Chancellor’s Animal Research Committee (ARC), to oversee the use of animals in research, teaching, and testing. To ensure the humane treatment and proper care of animals at UCLA, OARO provides administrative support to the ARC for activities including the following:
- Animal protocol submission and review, including application pre-review, submission processing, communicating and explaining ARC queries, and issuing approvals
- Required animal user trainings
- Interpretation and application of policies and regulations
- Post-approval compliance checks of research activities
- Semi-annual facility inspections
- Semi-annual animal care and use program evaluations
- Inspection and evaluation reports
- Reports of noncompliance and/or mistreatment
OARO serves three audiences: the public, by upholding the highest legal and ethical standards of animal care; the University, by ensuring institutional compliance with federal, state, and local regulations governing the use of animals; and the research community, by facilitating thorough and balanced reviews of protocols designed to better mankind and improve the understanding of science.