- Develop, recommend, update and maintain policies applicable to health and safety at UCLA in order to promote safety and research.
- Establish and review strategies to ensure ongoing and adequate surveillance, hazard identification, and risk evaluation of laboratory activities.
- Advise the Vice Chancellor of Research regarding compliance with safety related policies through general observations, review of incident reports and similar activities.
- Review findings of inspection and hazard surveillance programs carried out by authorized EH&S personnel and State and Federal Regulatory authorities.
- Review requests for variances from established safety policies and advise the Executive Vice Chancellor on accepting or not these requests.
back to top
Authority and Responsibility
- The OSOC has the authority to recommend modification, suspension, revocation and/or termination of any activities that are deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to life or safety. Recommendations will be made to the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Decisions to suspend, revoke or terminate the right to operate may be appealed to the Executive Vice Chancellor or the Vice Chancellor for Research. On appeal, they will meet with the Authorized User and members of the OSOC to make a determination regarding suspension, revocation or termination.
- Decisions to modify the status of research in a laboratory will be transmitted in writing to the Executive Vice Chancellor, the OSOC and the Authorized User.
- The OSOC has the authority to amend the OSOC Bylaws.
- Decisions to modify the status, structure and authority of the OSOC will be transmitted in writing to the OSOC by the Vice Chancellor for Research on behalf of the Chancellor.
back to top
Committee Structure and Administration
The position of Chair shall be filled by an Ex Officio member who also individually serves as a Chair of one of the respective campus Safety Committees. The position of Chair is 1-year appointment and will rotate to include all ex officio voting members.
Ex Officio Voting Members
Chair, Chemical and Physical Safety Committee
Chair, Radiation Safety Committee
Chair, Institutional Biosafety Committee
Chair, Animal Research Committee
Director of EH&S
Associate Vice-Chancellor for Research - Laboratory Safety
Ex Officio Non-Voting Members
Non-Voting Advisory Members
- The Chair of the OSOC may appoint individuals who have special interest and/or expertise to serve as non-voting advisors to the committee on an ad hoc basis.
Administrative and secretarial services for the Committee will be provided by the office of the Vice Chancellor for Research through the Office of Research Administration (ORA).
Voting members are appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Research.
Terms of Appointment
Membership in the OSOC is contingent on current involvement in other campus Safety Committees or related stakeholder organizations as defined in the "Committee Composition" section above.
The term of appointment for a non-voting advisory member is contingent on the advisory need as determined by the OSOC.
back to top
OSOC Meetings and Operations
The Committee shall act by majority vote of the voting members present.
A quorum shall be a majority of the voting membership.
Electronic voting for all OSOC business matters is acceptable at the discretion of the Chair providing a complete electronic document of all issues relating to the item is forwarded to each voting member for their appraisal, comment and approval. Electronic voting shall require a three-day response to the Chair. The ability to vote electronically shall not be regarded as a reason for OSOC meeting nonattendance.
The OSOC shall meet at least four times each calendar year. Quarterly OSOC meetings shall be scheduled by ORA after consultation with OSOC members.
At the discretion of the Chair, special meetings may be called to:
The Chair shall distribute an agenda to all members prior to each meeting.
ORA shall provide administrative support to record, maintain and distribute minutes of meetings and other records. Copies of the minutes shall be sent electronically to all members of the OSOC.
back to top